Thursday, September 21

Sexy Books

Penguin...damn!

I'm a fan of literature; I admire those who write and judge others by what they read. A quick peek at the cover of a stranger's book can tell me everything I need to know about them.

On the Road? You're either 16 or annoying.
Atlas Shrugged? You're either faking it or pretentious.
Pride and Prejudice? You're either a sad Anglophile or my new best friend. Probably both, in that case.

Penguin, where do you come into this? Well, I've known and loved you for years now. You're sturdy, dependable, affordable. Take a quick peek at my library if you need proof. But now, your familiar orange and black Classics collection has gone all slutty. As a lover of all things ridiculous, I couldn't be happier.

Check out that cover of de Sade - you know what you're getting! Whores! And The Jungle? That design is nasty! I love that you've gone totally out of your way to make reading (something that is sadly seen as dull) as filthy and fashionable as possible.

So thank you Penguin, for giving me a whole new opportunity to judge books by their covers. It's about time.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now. And yes, I'm TOTALLY faking it.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I've just finished On The Road.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Trashley said...

Sorry Carl.

Sorry Sharon.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a classic Penguin books exhibit (permanent, I think) at the Design Museum in London. Love. Go!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Sam's Myth said...

I am *obsessed* with book covers and Penguin has always had an edge. Their UK division is miles and miles ahead of the US one for some reason -- every time I go to Europe I bring back stacks of books I already have just to have these great covers. It's been awesome to see Penguin US start to get creative with some of these covers. I want do design covers for Penguin. End rant.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home